The Home Stretch

>> 10.10.2009

Pregnant women! They had that weird frisson, an aura of magic that combined awkwardly with an earthy sense of duty. Mundane, because they were nothing unique on the suburban streets; ethereal because their attention was ever somewhere else. Whatever you said was trivial. And they had that preciousness which they imposed wherever they went, compelling attention, constantly reminding you that they carried the future inside, its contours already drawn, but veiled, private, an inner secret.
Ruth Morgan
Today...*drum roll please* I enter the third trimester. And as a wonderful present for making it this far, pregnancy has decided to punch me in the face.
Let's review, shall we:
Last night, between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m., I woke up four times to pee, thereby doubling my usual number of nocturnal bathroom excursions. Each time I propelled myself from the bed I noticed that my back and neck and feet were getting achier. At 4:00 a.m., I got into the shower in an effort to relieve the discomfort which had somehow climbed from a dull ache to a throbbing pain in a matter of two hours. While waiting for the water to get warm I stood in front of the mirror and noticed that not only am I breaking out in places I did not even know it was possible to break out in... but my nipples are now leaking at a fairly alarming rate (well, at least when compared to the rate of leakage a couple of weeks ago... namely.. little to none.)
The shower seemed to work but then I had to take three Tums before laying back down to try to sleep because I made the mistake of drinking a glass of water. Just as I started to drift off... Liam decided to practice his hardcore dance moves on my diaphragm. It felt a little something like this:

I finally fell asleep around 6:00 a.m. and then lugged my whale self out of bed around 9 in order to make an appointment. (It was for my CAP classes at AAA Women's Services.. which I will blog about one day soon because they are amazing.) I got up, got dressed, ate breakfast, got into my car, went to my appointment... walked inside... and then realized it was for NEXT WEEK.
Actually, that is not true.
I never realized it was for next week- I had to be told it was for next week by a very confused receptionist because Liam is stealing all my brain cells and, at the rate he is going, he better be a freaking genius. You think I am kidding.. but I am not: it is genius or bust.
So, I decide to go work on some homework (not actual homework.. which I should work on.. but AAA homework, which is much more fun). I start reading a pamphlet about bonding with your baby and there is a section titled, "Dad's Important Role." It is maybe two paragraphs about the relationship that can form between a father and his baby... and.. of course... I start bawling. Not quiet, normal "oh, how wonderful life will be" sniffles, but full-blown crazy preggo sobbing. In the middle of Starbucks. For approximately three minutes. And then I was fine.
In addition to all of this, I am pretty sure I spent the afternoon experiencing my first authentic Braxton-Hicks contractions and they were rather uncomfortable and it suddenly occured to me that one day in the not-so-distant future... I will actually be going into labor.
It also occurred to me that I have absolutely no experience with significant amounts of pain. I have never had stitches or broken a bone or had appendicitis. I have never even had real menstrual cramps. I did have pretty extensive jaw surgery when I was 18 but it was elective and the painkillers they gave me were basically amazing. It was mostly just uncomfortable because my mouth was wired shut for 8 weeks and my face blew up like a balloon... but I really did not feel too much as long as I popped my pills on time.
I mean.. my mom talks about how I never fell when I was learning to walk- I would lower myself to the ground gently... and the first time I skinned my knee I limped for a week. To this day, stubbing my toe or cutting my thumb is an earth-shattering event. I can sulk over it for hours.
So I don't do well with pain... at all, really. And I am beginning to think I might be a little naive to believe that I can walk into this situation which includes some of the most intense pain anyone ever feels ever in their life with absolutely no working knowlege of pain in general... and do it without intervention. I just don't know.
Well... anyway, the third trimester seems to be welcoming me with open arms. It honestly terrifies me to think about how fast the next three months are going to go by... but it is exciting at the same time. It is amazing how many changes Liam will be going through... and me too for that matter. We will see how it goes, eh?

4 comments:

Unknown October 10, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

Hi there, I'm a mom of three with just recently adding our little girl who's 6 months old.

I, too, used the AAA Women's Services when I became pregnant with my first son. And, yes, they are amazing. :)

Also, on the birthing process and pain, I used Hynobabies and was able to sleep up to 8 cm before waking up to then birth my beautiful girl. Google some info or videos of it if youre interested. I seriously didnt think it would work to the degree it did but was so grateful for the natural birth experience that I was able to have.

Congrats on your baby and enjoy!!

Toni October 11, 2009 at 6:48 AM  

I popped back over here in case you didnt check my post again. Hynobabies is a self-hypnosis technique. Its an idea that focuses on positive aspects of birth, removing the negative stereotypes that birth has to be painful, fearful, and a unnatural.

I took the class because I was going to go natural and my mid-wife was providing it. With my two other babies I opted for epiderals even though I had always planned for them both to unmedicaded. I never truly believed that I'd be able to hynotise myself into believe I'd have a peaceful and calm birth, but I so did. It's just conditioning yourself, preparing yourself for a beautiful birth.

My (Maddie's) birth story is located under the month of March if youre ever interested in reading it. :)

Mommy Boots (formerly KarmaPearl) October 11, 2009 at 8:32 AM  

Michelle, I am laughing now, but probably not for the reasons you'd think.


;)

Also, totally relate on the getting up to pee constantly and also the loss of brain cells. I am certifiably idiotic right now, sometimes I walk into a room looking for a glass of water and then I forget why I went in there. And then I'm like, "Oh yeah, I'm thirsty." How the hell do you forget you're thirsty?

Julia October 12, 2009 at 7:41 AM  

I love your blog! You are a great writer

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP