Liam Eliot- Day 3

>> 10.30.2009

Well, as I am sure you can imagine life has been rather surreal. While we cannot help but wishing for some sense of normalcy... it is almost impossible to remember what the beginning of this week felt like or what "normal" really is. It is so hard to put the events of the last few days into words and I feel like we will be counting time in Liam days for a very long time.

Liam Eliot is still doing very well. He is so tiny- making even the other premmies look huge in comparision, but he is breathing on his own and now taking micro-feedings every four hours. We have heard nothing but good reports. He had a PICC line put in today; although, from what we understand, they weren't able to thread it all the way to his heart but it will still be better for him than having IVs inserted every few days.

It is still difficult for me to look at him and not wish I could take it all away. When we walked into the NICU yesterday, he was crying... and while logically it is a good sign that he has both the strength and lung power to make his feelings known, I just do not think it is fair that he should have to feel discomfort yet. He should still be floating in liquid happiness... Watching him cry is so painful.

I am doing alright as well. The doctor has explained that we are going to be chasing my blood pressure around for the next few days. Last night was pretty rough, with my pressure getting back up to the scary levels that landed us in the hospital in the first place, but today has been much better. I am having the most difficulty keeping my spirits up. It does not look like I will be getting out of the hospital until next week...and then I will be faced with leaving Liam here, which will not be easy. The situation is somewhat overwhelming.

Ryan has been so wonderful through everything. His optomism is keeping me from losing it and he has been so supportive through every little thing- from helping me to use the breast pump to holding my hand as my head buzzes with high blood pressure.

Hopefully, I will get myself together enough to start posting more regularly and... coherently... again. However, until then.. here are some pictures of our little button:


Do you see those big hands?

Just chillin' in his little house... on his b-day.

Wearing his cool shades under the UVs

Ryan found this amusing becuase I sleep the same way.

Perfect- and breathing on his own!

5 comments:

Unknown October 30, 2009 at 4:23 PM  

ohhhhhhhhh he is so beautiful! And yes, he does have big hands. I am so sorry that this is all happening, but Liam looks great and seems like such a fighter. :)

Please let me know if there is anything you need. I am more than willing to help out in any way that I can.

You and your family are in my prayers. *hug*

Mommy Boots (formerly KarmaPearl) October 30, 2009 at 7:08 PM  

Michelle, he's perfect. I'm so sorry that this had to happen, but at least he is here and he is doing okay. I'm really sorry that you are having to deal with this blood pressure stuff. I hope that you begin making your recovery, and that Liam continues to thrive.. Though I know he will. If you guys need ANYTHING, you know where we live and you've got our numbers. Take care of yourself, and do NOT hesitate to call either Josh or myself.

Lindsey October 30, 2009 at 7:45 PM  

I'm so glad to hear that he is doing so well. Keep your spirits up, before you know it he will be home bringing nothing but smiles into your life! He's a precious little guy!!

Julia October 31, 2009 at 9:56 PM  

WOW! He is so tiny. I am very glad to know he is making such great process. I am sorry you have to go through this so early, but I am glad you and he will be ok! I will be thinking of you and praying for you.

Anonymous,  November 2, 2009 at 6:52 PM  

Hi there -- this is Susan, from Becky's writer's group. She is keeping us informed on your progress and Liam's process. Saying prayers for the both of you, Hang in there!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP