Where The Wild Things Are

>> 10.26.2009

Do not go. I'll eat you up, I love you so.
K.W.

Ryan and I went to see Where the Wild Things Are this weekend. [Check out that link if you get the chance- it is super cute] The movie was gorgeous. I absolutely loved it. There were certainly things that could have been done better but any imperfections were entirely forgivable. I have not even come close to getting emotional about a movie in years... yet I found tears running down my face numerous times while watching this one. Granted, crazy preggo emotions could very well have a bit to do with that, but... it was also a very touching experience.

I think one of the most powerful things for me was watching Max. The opening scene shows him tearing through the house after his dog in his infamous wolf costume. He is screaming like a banshee and wielding a plastic fork as a weapon. Ironically, the dog is a black poodle very similar to our poodle hybrid, Fezzik. As he tackles the dog and the screen freezes on his wild, dirty little face, I just looked at Ryan... and he looked at me and we smiled nervous smiles. Because I believe it dawned on both of us at the exact same moment that... we are going to have one of those. In our house. ALL THE TIME.

In this aspect, the rest of the movie served to both delight and terrify us. This little boy was all boy. I know Ryan felt like he was watching his own childhood unfold (although Max was probably a bit more spirited than my l
ove- introverted child that he was). The character was so full of so many things. It astounded me how complex this little creature was capable of being. His imagination was incredible. He was so rough and loud and messy... and yet, you just wanted to hug him for being all of those things. One minute he is a holy terror and the next he is as sweet as pie and I just kept shaking my head at the grand realization that my life is going to be so full of this so soon. Needless to say, the scenes between Max and his mom got to me the most.



It is amazing what they did with such a simple children's story. They managed to stay true to a book that contains so few words and yet expand and create this entire, amazing world. It was very good and you should see it. That is all.

In other news: my appointment with the Regional Obstetrical Consultants has been set for tomorrow morning at 8:30 a.m. I work on Tuesdays and usually will reschedule anything that interferes with that because 1. I do not like calling in and 2. We need all the money we can get. However, I really do not want to try to reschedule. I just want to get this over with.

My doctor has been so careful to assure me that this is just a precaution and that he does not think there is anything seriously wrong with Liam. He has never once used a term that has set off red flags in my mind... so, of course, leave it to the receptionist to mess with that. On Friday, after taking my blood sugar test, I walked up to ask if she had made the appointment for me. She pulled out my chart and said, "Oh yeah... I forgot: you are going to the high risk center." Gah. "High-risk" is not a term I really needed to have floating around in my mind.

Of course, I am not going to the center on a regular basis; I am going to have a single ultrasound done using their crazy awesome equipment, which my doctor does not have, to determine that everything is flowing well through the placenta. Prayfully, it is and my doctor's initial assumption that Liam is just genetically predisposed to being small is correct. I do not mind having a small baby (I mean really.. how crazy would I have to be to WANT a bigger head to shove through my vagina?) - I just want him to be healthy. And right now, I do not geniunely feel that I have anything serious to worry about. Yes, of course, it is on my mind and I have been doing everything I can from my end to help if possible. [I got the ridiculous six-a-day prenatals, I am drinking Boost and eating large quantities of fruits and vegetables, trying to rest more, etc., etc.]; however, it is also hard to be seriously concerned about the well-being of a child that is capable of making you grimace and moan as he kicks you hard in the bladder... or ribs... or intestines.. or wherever else his precious foot may land, and whose heartbeat can be heard loud and strong through a stethoscope (which he resents for invading his space and makes it very clear where he thinks you should stick that damn thing).

In my opinion, Liam is determined to make it into this world. He is a strong little sucker. He was conceived against the odds, survived 9 weeks of my complete oblivion to his existence and has proven that he is not taking no for an answer. I think he is going to be just fine... but I will not turn away your thoughts and prayers either. :)

2 comments:

Julia October 27, 2009 at 7:36 AM  

I will be thinking and praying for you. It is 7:30 here now (not sure if you are EST or CST) but for the next hour or two I will be sending all my thoughts and prayers your way! Liam will be just fine :)

Unknown October 28, 2009 at 5:31 AM  

Sorry, I havent even read this post but I needed a place to send my thoughts.

*hug* I hope everything went well with the birth and that Liam is holding strong. You are all in my prayers. I am so sorry. Please know people are praying.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP