The Motherload

>> 11.06.2009

Laughter is like changing a baby's diaper. It doesn't permanently solve any problems, but it makes things more acceptable for a while.
Anonymous

One day, Liam will fill his diaper and Ryan and I will look at each other with fear in our eyes and begging on our lips: "Please! Please, please, please, please, please--- will you take care of this one?! Please! It is totally your turn. No, it's yours. No, it's yours. I'll do the dishes. Please!"

But for now we both really look forward to diaper changes. The hospital only allows a couple of "hands on" times a day. Sick babies are sick and need their rest.. and the little ones like Liam just were not counting on any cuddle time for a couple more months. [And trust me, our little one makes it perfectly clear how he feels about losing out on his alone time.]

So, taking Liam's temperature, changing his diaper, and wiping his mouth are the few ways that we can be involved in his care at the moment. And, for now...we really enjoy it.

At first the entire situation was really intimidating. I mean, I can change a baby's diaper with one hand. I have changed diapers in some very strange places and with some very interesting distractions. I have experienced blow-outs, blow-ups, spill-overs, and (my favorite) the pee-out. [For those of you who do not have any experience with little boys, this occurs when boy parts are pointed up and the baby pees all over his own shirt- leaving the diaper completely dry. It's like a magic trick!]

But I have to say I have never in my life changed the diaper of a 2 pound baby. His diapers, which are still too big for him, are smaller than most doll diapers. Add in all the wires and tubes and his little bird bones and you have a situation that left me, the diaper queen, practically hyperventilating. [Ryan, on the other hand, handled it without flinching. He is always surprising me. I love that man.]

It only took a couple of times for me to get used to it.. and, as an added bonus, it seems like the Gremlin is getting used to it as well; at least, he did not squeak through the entire experience last time... He is a wiggly little thing, but if he isn't crying, it keeps you from feeling so panicky and rushed.

I guess I can add "through the arm holes of an incubator" to my list of strange.

The boy needs to get some meat on his thighs..... Hey, I have some to spare!

I am taking that as a yawn of approval.


Last night, Liam "graduated" to the back row. He is in a new isolette and will now be allowed 3 visitors at a time. His color is looking better every day. He is gaining weight- 950 grams as of yesterday, only 20 grams below his birth weight! He is back on continues feedings, digesting well so far, and is down to 1 liter of oxygen. In spite of being warned repeatedly that he would probably have to bounce back to a ventilator, he has yet to do so- in fact, he is moving in the other direction. And.. he is a world-class pooper.

Things are looking pretty good today.

4 comments:

Mommy Boots (formerly KarmaPearl) November 6, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

Ha ha! The blow-out comments simultaneously made me laugh and cringe at what I have to look forward to. I have NEVER changed a poopy diaper in my life... NEVER.

You are doing great. I know it's gotta be scary, but if anyone can handle it it's you. I'm really glad to hear he's pooping like a champ! Never thought I'd say that I was glad that someone was pooping like a champ...

Michelle November 6, 2009 at 11:05 AM  

Well, Nat- if you ever want a poopy diaper changing lesson, just let me know. I know some parents who would happily volunteer their little one for some practice. :D Ha, ha.

Unknown November 6, 2009 at 5:44 PM  

Wow, one day you'll look back and just be in awe over how little your boy is right now. I still love that little head of hair, though. :)

Congrats on Liam getting stronger and moving to the back. Also, with those continuous feeds he should definitly start to put on some more weight. I am truly over joyed that his feeding has improved. It can be an obstacle for some.

Also, I've left you a huge reply on my post. I understand why you'd want to up your supply if he's gonna be eating more. :)

Julia November 7, 2009 at 4:21 PM  

YAY one day at a time...

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP