Week One Down

>> 11.03.2009

The only reason for time is so everything doesn't happen at once.
Albert EinsteinAlign Right
Well, we have made it through our first full week. It is really amazing how quickly your brain shifts. Liam has been on the planet for seven days, every moment of it spent in this hospital, and already our lives would feel empty without that tiny little being in it.

There is still no word on when I will be released. I was given a glimmer of hope yesterday when the doctor mentioned the possibility of going home today..but it does not look like he is satisfied with my blood pressure yet. Today he has increased my medication again; I have never taken so many pills in my entire life. I have lost count of the exact number but it is upwards of 15 a day.

Occasionally, I have the urge to look up the diseases tha
t I have since I have no working knowledge of them really... but then I remind myself that knowledge is not always power- sometimes, it only serves to terrify you. Maybe I will try to learn a little bit more after this is all over.

Dr. Story came by last night with her medicine bag and made me feel all better.

The same has been true for Liam's situation. Some preemie support groups and other resources have been suggested to me... but I cannot bring myself to get involved. Every baby is different- a fact the nurses remind us of every day- and the few times I have ventured online to look up preemie information, I end up stumbling on some story that leaves my heart racing. Liam is doing really great, but there is still a long road ahead of us, and many obstacles that could come along. We do not know what the future holds or how his rough start will affect him in the long run. I just do not need to be anticipating complications- whatever is going to happen will happen and we will deal with it when it comes.

As for today: he is looking good. He has a contrast x-ray scheduled for 4:00 to see if anything is going on with his little tummy because he started having some feeding issues. However, he has started gaining weight again and is back up to an even 2 pounds. He sleeps soundly on his belly and his color is looking great.

Holding Mama's hand for a brief minute before pushing her away. He definitely requires copious amounts of alone time. [I wonder where in the WORLD he got that from. Heh....]

I am pretty much obsessed with his feet and tooshie. I must have taken 20 pictures of each this
afternoon. Ryan went back to work today so I went to the NICU for the first time alone. The nurse had already taken care of his diaper and tempurature, which was fine because they moved my IV into the inside nook of my left elbow [there is an actual medical term for this space which my mother rattled off when I complained about the IV being put here.. but I can't remember it]. This makes it pretty much impossible to bend my arm. So.. I just sat and stared at him; I am most definitely smitten with my little man.

I was also able to hold him for a few minutes the other day while his bed was changed. It was utterly terrifying. He was upset and wiggly and there are so many wires and tubes. I was afraid to breathe on him and have to admit to a sigh of relief when the nurse took him back. However, it has been indicated that after he is through with his contrast x-rays, holding him will become a regular part of our routine.. so it is something we are going to have to get used to. It will be Papa's turn next. He has done great with taking Liam's tempurature and changing his diaper so I think he will be just fine with holding him- if his attitude so far is any indication, he will probably handle it better than I did.

By the way... Ryan and I feel so blessed by our friends and family- we have received so much encouragement and help since this all began. It's amazing. Every single message, comment, text and phone call is so appreciated- it makes such a difference even if we aren't able to get back to everyone. We love you all. Thank you so much.

4 comments:

Mommy Boots (formerly KarmaPearl) November 3, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

It's hard to believe he's been here for an entire week already. I hope that you get "sprung" pretty soon. I was hoping that you'd be able to go home today.

I know what you mean about the plethora of information that's available making you panicky instead of helping. I find myself surfing other mommy and pregnancy blogs and accidentally coming across blogs where there have been tragedies and losses involving children, and I just have to quickly close the window and try and breathe again.

You guys are in my thoughts every day, and I'm really excited for the day when you can bring little Liam home and I can get my hands on him :)

Unknown November 3, 2009 at 7:15 PM  

Michelle,
I love that you've posted more pics! Even though he's snoozing, you can already see his little presonality. I must admit I love his nose, hair, and hands. They seem very distinct and strong features. :)

If/when you're ready to look up any info or befriend other families who've also had preemeies, let me know if I can be of any help. We have a huge resource center upstairs at my school as well as several family groups. :) I personally have known quiet a few preemies and as you said earlier, they are definitly unique and special in their own ways. I also have plenty of success stories if you'd ever like to hear them. :)

Take care, love that baby of yours, and keep postin' those pics!

Julia November 4, 2009 at 7:25 AM  

I can't imagine... And we thought there was so much to worry about while they are inside us. I guess as mommas we never stop worrying. It just shows how much we love out babies.

I hope you and he keep getting stronger every day. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Julia November 5, 2009 at 8:09 AM  

I am thinking of you today. I hope you are ok

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP