grati-tuesday

>> 12.01.2009

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.
Thornton Wilder

Well, today I have thought of three things that I am feeling very grateful for and I could not narrow it down... so...just... DEAL WITH IT. kthanks.

First of all, I am so very grateful for all the wonderful advice and support I have gotten from ladies through this blog and on various message boards and such. I have never been an active participant in any message boards, chat rooms, or support groups. I have never made connections with people over the internet (due to a very scary incident when I was 14. i.e. a STALKER who showed up AT MY HOUSE after I gave him my phone number and was not the 16 year old boy he claimed to be on the christian message board my parents let me subscribe to... but a 20-something year old psycho who decided he was in love with me. Oh, stupidity). However, when this particular life event rolled around.. it became clear pretty quickly that I would need some outside input from others who had been through a similar situation and it has really been a lifesaver. I found support through babyfit during my pregnancy and have found a wonderful group of preemie parents who are all so willing to answer any question, no matter how silly, through babycenter. It has been truly overwhelming and I find it rather amazing how people all over the country (and even the world) can come together and support each other. It is a very real blessing.

The responses to my pumping question were all so fantastic and I have taken and applied as much of the advice I received as I possibly could. I am already noticing a slight increase in my supply. I was barely getting the bottles wet and today I have gotten about an ounce at every pumping so far. The lactation consultant called me this morning. (The NICU nurses let her know that I was having some trouble) and suggested Reglan so I called my OB/GYN and will be picking up the prescription this afternoon. I think the risk of being stuck bottle-feeding my own child outweighs, in my mind, any side effects of the medicine. I know that there is really nothing wrong with relying on formula.. but it is really very important to me to be able to breastfeed Liam if at all possible.

So.. that is what is happening with that.. and again THANK YOU to all the wonderful ladies who took the time to give me so much wonderful advice. It is really making a difference.

Next.... I am exceedingly grateful for the NEGATIVE pregnancy test I received this morning.... (yeah, I know you are all DYING to know the story behind that one.. but 'nough said.)

Fiinally... and most importantly... I am feeling very grateful that Liam is the only baby in our NICU right now. I know that sounds a little bit strange.. and, of course, I would much rather this all be behind us, but his last two little buddies were discharged this morning and I am just thinking about how wonderful those families must be feeling to have their babies home for the holiday season. When Liam was born there were 14 other babies in the NICU... and as the weeks have gone by every single one of them has gone home.. and not a single new baby has been admitted. To me this is a wonderful thing.

And.. what are you feeling grateful for today?

6 comments:

Becky December 1, 2009 at 3:04 PM  

I am grateful too for a wonderful community of people so I don't feel quite alone in this world of preemie parenting! I'm thankful to be seeing pics of you holding him!

I'm thankful for the best Thanksgiving I've ever had, and the time I got to spend with my son.

And as far as the baby and the feeding goes, give it all you got! Every little bit counts and even if you have to supplement, your still giving him some! I applaud your determination whole heartedly!

~gretchen~ December 1, 2009 at 3:16 PM  

thats awsome that your supply is getting a little better already! and i agree about the preemie parenting board. its truly amazing and really keeps me sane. its a necessity to be able to connect with people who have preemies because "normal" baby mamas just dont get it.

that is a great thing that liam is the only one in the nicu! not only because no other babys or families are having to deal with it, but also because he probably gets so much attention! and theres alot less risk of infection! devin was in the largest nicu in the country (northside hospital in atlanta) so that would have never happened. that nicu holds up to 150 babies! isnt that insane? and thanks for the sweet comment on devin's x-mas pics! :) you should totally stick liam in a stocking NOW!!!

Mandy @ mintnclandycreate December 1, 2009 at 11:22 PM  

Those are all WONDERFUL reasons to be thankful. Hopefully Liam will be the next one released from the NICU and then you'll have another reason to be thankful! ;)

Unknown December 2, 2009 at 5:45 AM  

Michelle,
This are all such wonderful blessings! I must say, I agree with you on being so happy for those families and knowing that Liam is getting great care...and all the attention. :)

I'm grateful for my family and our health, for heat to warm us, food to fill our bellies, and laughter to fill up our hearts. :)

Julia December 2, 2009 at 7:41 AM  

I too am gratefull for freinds (you included) internet & real life. It is nice being able to share with people and get advice from all perspectives!

Mommy Boots (formerly KarmaPearl) December 2, 2009 at 8:55 AM  

I nominated you for a blog award!

http://ttcgreen.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-first-blog-award.html

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP