I Do Believe in Binkies! I Do! I Do!

>> 12.21.2009

Babies are such nice ways to start people.
Don Herold

If you had asked me while I was pregnant whether or not I would allow Liam to have a pacifier the answer would be a resounding, "no!" In fact... it was a resounding no each and every time my mother brought it up. However, in this as in many things, our reality has re-shaped our philosophy. And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why Liam will, in fact, be a binkie baby:



The child has a great, overwhelming need to suck AT. ALL. TIMES. If for whatever reason his very fancy vanilla scented pacifier is not at his lips, his fingers are a fine replacement. And while it is very, very cute... it is also an extremely difficult habit to break; whereas pacifiers can conveniently disappear.. fingers cannot (well, it is technically possible.. if you are keen on having DEFAX called on your ass). And so, while I cannot say that I am entirely happy about it... Liam will continue to have pacifiers at his disposal. For a little while at least. Spoiled.

[You'd spoil him too. Look at that face!]

So, ladies, what is your paci-opinion?

8 comments:

Unknown December 21, 2009 at 12:31 PM  

I agree with you on all levels. My babies do NOT get pacies unless they are needed to help self soothe or, like in Liams case, it's either that or the fingers.

Maddie's pacie will be leaving her mouth around the age of 12 months, anything longer than that and it becomes a habit, to which I dont want to create a screaming child who can only walk around with a pacie in her mouth. :)

We also use hers when she wants to explore items but rather than putting them in her mouth, her mouth is already containing something so the "need" to mouth is taken care of. She can use all her other sences to check it out. :)

And, lastly, good parenting is knowing when to change your mind and readjust ideas and concerns. :)

Julia December 21, 2009 at 2:28 PM  

I dont know if I'd want a paci or not. I hated my sisters for some unknown reason when I was young, but I sucked my fingers. The paci habit was much easier to break than my finger sucking. In fact my finger sucking was so bad that my finger started to grow crooked and was always chapped. And to this day I find at times that I do not use my "sucking finger" LOL

SOOOO if my child has a need to constantly be sucking something paci it is. I have 1 right now just in case

Julia December 21, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

Oh ya the super cuteness still abounds in those pics! He is the most adorable little man ever! And I can say that cause I am having a girl!

Lindsey December 21, 2009 at 5:45 PM  

What's the big deal with paci's?? I've never heard anything bad about them. I got the orthodontic ones that won't mess up the mouth. It did take a long time for my mom to wean my brother from his though.....

Vanessa Washburn December 21, 2009 at 6:29 PM  

Oh I'm so glad you stopped by my blog, and that I have now stopped by yours. Liam is so sweet. I'm glad that he's doing well. I look forward to hearing reading more about him.
I was also pretty set against binky's. Haley didn't use one for the first month. And then I tried one, and she's been hooked ever since.

Becky B,  December 22, 2009 at 8:32 AM  

I think you know how I feel about pacis...considering the fact my almost 3 year old still has hers... It's karma, it is. I was always one of those moms who saw 3 year olds in the mall with pacis and thought to myself "what is that child's mother thinking???" Now I have one of those kids who love love love their pacifiers... sigh. oh well...I keep telling myself the pacifiers are going to disappear after the holidays...

Becky December 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM  

We used the pacifier/soothie in the NICU. At the time I was like, anything that provides my son comfort in my absence. We have continued to use it, as he goes to daycare and the same theory applies. He spits it out when he doesn't want it and well, he uses his fingers and the soothie as a teether now.

MeWoodward December 22, 2009 at 9:35 PM  

DH was against them, but our 2 year old still has hers. She has only recently liked teethers, so the paci has been great for that. She chews on it like crazy. The other thing I like about it is when we go to other people's houses and she wanted to stick everything in her mouth, we gave her the paci. Helps to keep TOO many germs from spreading.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP