[4:00 a.m.]

>> 1.02.2010

Most glorious night!
Thou wert not sent for slumber!

Lord Byron,
Childe Harold

Turns out parenthood gets a lot more complicated when you actually have the child. Who knew?
But it is quite wonderful to be able to stare at his face whenever the mood strikes.


I do sort of wish the nurses would have warned us that Liam sleeps about as peacefully as a passing train. Maybe they didn't know because there is always so much going on in the NICU. He grunts. He moans. He whines. He squeals. Just when I am sure he is a awake and get up to check... he stops. Oh, my.

My mother said she was afraid my "mama instincts" would be a bit rusty since I have not been having to get up at night for the last two months.. but oh, n0- they are working quite well, thank you. Tonight Papa took over from 11:30 to 3 a.m. so I could sleep in the living room because I cannot rest in the same room with Liam at all. Now I am back on duty.

Everyone keeps telling me that he is fine but it is not that I am worried about his well-being. We have a monitor that let's me know all is well. [Even though the doctor canceled the order, we already had the monitor so we figured we would put it to good use until they come to pick it up.] It is that the child is a ridiculously noisy sleeper! All my plans for Liam to sleep in our room slowly diminish as the sleepless hours pass by. Getting up when he needs me is no problem at all. It is just staring at the ceiling in between while he squeals and carries on happily in dreamland that is causing a level a sleep deprivation that makes me feel sorry for anyone who has to encounter me.

Oh! I am now going to abruptly end this post because Liam is being quiet and I am going to try to catch a few winks.

But it must be mentioned: It is all so [so, so] worth it.

3 comments:

Unknown January 2, 2010 at 5:19 PM  

:) I've heard of these noisy sleepers. You'll get use to what's dream land and what's his talking mode. And eventually, his moans and sqeals will be a little lullaby. :)

MeWoodward January 2, 2010 at 8:56 PM  

Yeah... not sure why they say "sleep like a baby" they are very restless. lol. I am sooo glad he is home with you :)

Mommy P January 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM  

It's the "preemie grunt". Greyson grunted in his sleep for months...I actually learned to sleep when he was grunting and woke up when he was silent.

As strange as it sounds, I really miss those grunts.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP