Book Review: Her Fearful Symmetry

>> 1.11.2010

So... let's just say the last few days have not exactly been smooth sailing.. and I am not exactly in the mood to write an actual post. I am not actually in the mood to write a book review either. I am really more in a crashing head first into the bed and entering a coma for a week sort of mood... but that is not really an option at the moment, so I will settle for a book review.

Let me preface this by saying for those of you who do not know, The Time Traveler's Wife is by far my favorite novel of all time. This is saying a lot because I swallow books whole. I mean... I read a lot. A lot. A lot. But.. The Time Traveler's Wife is just.. amazing. [And NO- I have not see the movie. I never plan to see the movie. I die a little bit inside anytime anyone brings up the movie... so thanks for that.]

Ryan proposed to me in Chicago, in front of the Newberry Library solely because of how much I love The Time Traveler's Wife. [It was pretty much incredible, by the way- I didn't know where we were going until our flight was announced. Yeah.. my husband has grand romantic gestures nailed.]

Yup. Me and the Newberry... just.. hanging out.

He proposed in a little park directely across the street. I was so freaking excited about Chicago and the library that the engagement took a little while to set in.

Anyway... so... when Ryan got me this book for Christmas, I was a little bit nervous because- come on- there is no way this lady is going to be able to write anything as good as The Time Traveler's Wife.

Well, I have to say, Her Fearful Symmetry.. is not as good as The Time Traveler's Wife, but, that's okay. I did not have high expectations. And I liked it anyway. Audrey Niffenegger is really an amazing writer- just the language she chooses and how it flows and how it can elicit particular reactions and emotions from the reader as if she can play you like a fiddle is kind of ridiculous.

The beginning was incredible. The characters blew my mind. [I am actually more in love with Robert than I was with Henry, which is unbelievable] The ending... blew. The ending blew hard. I kind of hated it. Fortunately, I am not the type of person to judge a story by its ending so I can still appreciate the novel and just re-write the ending in my head.

So, there's that. If you like ghost stories.. you should read it. If you like character-driven plot lines, you should read it. If you like unicorns and butterflies and good endings that make sense.. maybe not so much. That's all I'm gonna say.

[But you ALL should read The Time Traveler's Wife. Now.]

3 comments:

Mommy Boots (formerly KarmaPearl) January 11, 2010 at 11:16 AM  

I might have to borrow this from you when I'm done reading my Sookie Stackhouse vampire books. It was because of you I read the Time Traveler's Wife, and I'm interested to see what else Ms. Niffeneger has to offer.

Julia January 11, 2010 at 9:18 PM  

referring to your first paragraph. Is it hard for you getting used to having Liam at home? It is very stressful for me. I never imagined how hard it would be. I love Audrey so much, but I feel so overwhelmed at times

Unknown January 14, 2010 at 10:27 PM  

The Time Traveler's Wife is a huge hit in my book as well!

I'm not big on ghosts so I'll skip this one. :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP