Peace

>> 2.23.2010

A happy life must be to a great extent a quiet life, for it is only in an atmosphere of quiet that true joy dare live.
Bertrand Russel


Ryan is a writer. I am a reader.
Needless to say, we value the quiet.

Our home is a peaceful one. And this is largely due to the absence of one small, generally accepted element of most households: cable television.

We do have a television set and will often watch movies or a series on DVD (my current obsession: Dexter) but unless we are purposefully watching something, our television is not on. I do not see television as evil, only... unnecessary. Liam will be allowed to watch things from time to time, but I do not see it being a large part of his life. There are much more interesting things to do.

I often listen to music or NPR but these are both lacking in the quick transitions and constant chatter found in commercials and many programs. Ryan and I are quite comfortable with silence... and can often sit with each other quietly for extended periods of time; each of us lost in our own thoughts or activities.

The calmness of our home is often commented on; particularly those who are used to the television playing constantly in the background. What is funny to me is that it is often viewed negatively. "Your house is so QUIET," they will say. Or my personal favorite: "If you don't have television... what do you DO?!"

Well, as I previously stated, we will often watch a movie together (we are Netflix junkies). But we also read. And talk. And have people over. And go out. There is laundry to be done and dinner to be cooked and floors to be swept. We play with our dog(s). We spend time with our baby. I am sure as Liam gets older, his antics will be plenty entertaining. Often, it feels like there are not enough hours in the day for all that we do and I find myself wondering exactly how people have any time to watch television at all!

What do I do? Have you seen this face? It is the perfect sort of face for gazing in wonder.

The quiet stillness of our home is most evident during the day when it is just Liam and me. I am enjoying it while it lasts. I know that little boys are "busy" personified.. and I am honestly looking forward to having our home filled with toddler giggles and silly conversations, but I do hope that Liam will glean some appreciation for the quiet and the creativity that can be found there. I hope that he finds a sense of peace from living with his Papa and me.

11 comments:

~gretchen~ February 23, 2010 at 6:09 PM  

this calmed me down just reading it! thanks :)

emily bilbrey February 23, 2010 at 6:23 PM  

great post (i am a total dexter junkie also!)

also, i got you a sticker:

http://poppymilkface.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/the-one-where-i-got-another-pretty-pretty-button/

:D

cheers!

Lindsey February 23, 2010 at 8:19 PM  

I want to come live with you guys! I can sit in quiet for hours....crocheting or reading or just thinking. My husband likes that background noise of a TV.

I see you are getting a lot of use out of your new camera! Love the pics of Liam! He's getting bigger and bigger.

Mommy P February 23, 2010 at 10:09 PM  

I grew up in a house that had three t.v.
s running almost continually. When I moved out we didn't even have one for the first few months and 5 years later we still don't have cable. I don't miss it at all!

Greyson hardly ever watches t.v. and his OT comments on how great his attention span is - I think there is a connection.

Jennifer February 23, 2010 at 11:59 PM  

Our OT has said the same thing about our house being too quiet (negative connotations). I disagree w/her. My babies do not need the TV blaring. And it would be rude to do so with her there anyway. I'm glad to find another person who enjoys the beautiful peaceful quiet. Thanks for blogging about it. More moms should be like you.

Meg February 24, 2010 at 7:21 AM  

We don't have cable either, nice to know we're not the only strange ones :)

Mommy Boots (formerly KarmaPearl) February 24, 2010 at 10:10 AM  

I dunno Michelle, The Big Bang Theory is pretty effin' funny. You don't know what you're missing. ;)

Seriously though, kudos to you. I've lived without TV before and I personally hated it. I don't watch a whole lot but there are shows that I love to watch, like the afformentioned BBT.

And yes, Netflix is a miracle sent by the gods. I wish I'd have thought of it because I'd be rich now.

Michelle February 24, 2010 at 10:46 AM  

Yeah.. we have BBT on our list. If I can pry my eyes from Michael C. Hall's washboard abs long eonugh..we may just watch it!

Becky February 24, 2010 at 2:16 PM  

Every now and then I mention to the husband "maybe we could drop cable ... " His answer is always a resounding no! So, in the mean time, I use him as my excuse to watch TV...

Julia February 24, 2010 at 7:49 PM  

I have been living without cable and home internet for years. Now that I am living with babies daddy it is frustrating for me that he thinks they are a necessary expense

yay for you

Unknown February 26, 2010 at 4:40 PM  

I envy your home. :)

I am the only one in this fam who could live without a tv. I love quiet time :).

Also, we do hire substitutes to come in and fill positions when someone is out if you're interested in a very part time sort of job. :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP