They Say Time Flies...

>> 8.13.2009

The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.
- Albert Einstien

I am a nanny. I have been a nanny for five years. I basically love my job and you are jealous, I know.

As a freshman in college I just happened to decide to go listen to a public speaker on campus who I had heard was very good, and I happened to sit down next to a professor who had come to see the same speaker. And he happened to ask me what my major was and I happened to tell him Early Childhood Education. And it just so happened that his wife was getting ready to go back to work after the birth of their second child...

"You aren't looking for a job, are you?"

And... it just so happened that I was looking for a job- a second one. I needed a car and my current job as kitchen bitch at a local pizza place just was not cutting it. So I said yes.. and the rest is history.

I soon found myself in charge of a 21 month old toddler and 6 week old infant. I was 18 years old and at that point in my life I do not think I had laid eyes on a 6 week old baby. Sometimes, I wondered if these people were crazy...What were they THINKING leaving me with their precious bundle of joy? Everyone knows teenagers are ridiculously careless. What if I broke him? What if I dropped him? What if I left him somewhere and forgot where I put him?

But I did have copious amounts of experience with kids in general thanks to my mother's insistence that I get CPR certified at the age of 12 so she could loan me out to all her friends in need of cheap childcare... and I was a fast learner.

Five years and two additional kids later- and I have this thing pretty much down. There have been moments when I wondered what the heck I was doing with my life. Much of my college years have been spent soaked in various bodily fluids, singing "The Itsy, Bitsy Spider" and reading The Cat in the Hat so many times that I can recite it from memory. But I absolutely love these kids with all of my heart and with Liam on the way.. I now find myself even more grateful for the experiences I have had. I know that being a first time mom is not going to be easy under the best of circumstances, but I certainly have a head start.

It is just so strange to look back on these last five years. I feel like these kids have been a part of my life forever.. and yet the time has flown by. That six weeks old baby will be five on Saturday and his older brother... started first grade today! When did that happen? The little princess just turned three.. and the baby... is crawling. I hope that I will always remember how quickly things go when Liam arrives and will savor every day I have with my precious boy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP