grati-tuesday

>> 11.10.2009

Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.
Cicero

Man.. even I did not know I was capable of such cheese as is located in the title of today's post.. but, alas, I am. And I will not apologize.


Today, my little bit turns 2 weeks old. And I have decided that every Tuesday is now cause for celebration. Every week that we put behind us is a step in the right direction. No matter what obstacles we face, we are still moving forward. So, on Tuesdays... I am going to take a moment to remember the things that I am grateful for.

And, of course, I will start off this new tradition with Liam Eliot. I am so grateful for every morning that I wake up and he is still with us. I am grateful that he has the spirit of an overcomer and is fighting so hard. We have learned that his little body is having to work against an infection now. He has been put back on a ventilator and has had to have a lumbar puncture, a blood transfusion, and countless tests, labs and x-rays as they work to figure out exactly what sort of infection has made its way into his system and how best to treat it. It is hard to fight against the panic that rises up at hearing these things... but I think I am getting better. I am learning to find my peace.

Liam has not given up. His heart is still beating. His brain is still ticking. And he is still growing [He now weighs 2 pounds and 7.3 ounces; practically a sumo wrestler!] The nurses tell us he is fiesty.. that he is a wild child... and I am so grateful for that strong will in him. I know that there will be days when it will make me want to pull my hair out.. but I also know, from my own experience [Yes, I admit it: I am ridiculously hard-headed] that it will serve him well in life.

So today, I am grateful for my son. I am grateful that I have been given the opportunity to know him. I am grateful for every day that I get to spend as his mama. I am grateful for his perfect fingers and toes and belly button. I am grateful for his precious, adorable little button nose. I am grateful that the last two weeks are behind us and I am grateful for the many, many weeks ahead to watch him grow.

What are you grateful for today?

4 comments:

Kara,  November 10, 2009 at 6:03 PM  

I totally agree that the NICU is a roller coaster. We spent 8 weeks there and it seemed like an eternity. It WILL be better when you can drive tomorrow. Once I was able to drive I would spend hours at the NICU. I would just sit there with Alec and read my book. Then once he was a little bigger I would feed him and just cuddle and hold him. It has been hard for me to post on you blog because we delivered and lost Reagan the same day Liam was born but I wanted you to know I have been thinking about you. There are many set backs but it does better. If you need to talk or ask questions just mommy mail me on babyfit. Good luck and we will be praying for Liam.
Bonnie_Blue (Kara)

Shemaiah,  November 10, 2009 at 10:06 PM  

You guys are doing a great job being with Liam when you can! I love reading your updates and wish you three all the best!

Julia November 11, 2009 at 7:36 AM  

I am grateful I got to know you even a little bit. Your strength and spirit give me courage. I think about you often and pray for you and your family daily

Unknown November 11, 2009 at 12:33 PM  

Just beautiful!

I am grateful that your Liam is a fighter and that he's growing!

I am also so grateful for my family and their health. I am so grateful for the moments I get to spend with my kids, even when my 7 year old drives me crazy. I must admit, I miss them while they are sleeping. :)

Thanks for being grateful and for reminding me to do the same.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP