Do You Know the Muffin Man?

>> 8.18.2009

Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.
- Voltaire
In most ways, my mother and I are nothing alike.

I am still attempting to figure out how it is possible for me to actually be the fruit of her loins... The contrast between her olive complexion and wispy blond hair in comparison to my own dark, thick mane and light skin tone (commonly referred to as "death") hardly begins to touch on the differences between us.

However, my mother did manage to pass on to me two things: wide hips and a tendency to love with food. I am still not entirely sure how I feel about the hips.. but the latter I can live with.

I prefer baking over cooking. This is probably due to my heated and sometimes volatile love affair with carbs. Sigh.

This morning I stumbled across a recipe for Cinnamon Banana Bread Muffins (You can find it here). After a morning of scooter-riding, finger-painting, book-reading, and make-believing, the kids were suffering from a severe case of, "What are we gonna do NOW, 'Chelle?" so we threw on aprons, washed our hands and got baking.


The muffins turned out fantastic! The recipe was simple and the instructions were easy enough for two ambitious pre-schoolers to follow. The final product was moist, delicious.. and with only 3/4 cup sugar in the recipe, not really something to beat yourself up over. Definitely two thumbs up.

At home, I would more than likely replace the white flour with wheat, substitute applesauce or soy substitute for the egg, use organic cane sugar, and add some fiber, wheat germ or walnuts to make it a little more substantial (health nut, anyone?) but I had to work with what I had on hand. Either way they make a nice little treat and, more importantly, helped kill an hour.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP